Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Origins of Cayman Weddings, and Simply Weddings

The 'Jackson Five' together again in Victoria, BC

Those of you who follow me on Face Book or Twitter will know I have been away in Victoria, BC where my dad has been very ill. Thankfully he is recuperating and we hope to have him home in a few weeks time. What you might not know is that my mother and father, Vernon and Francine Jackson opened the Cayman Island's first wedding planner and marriage officer, full service wedding company called 'Cayman Weddings' twenty-six years ago. Between them they have married over six thousand couples.

With my mom and brother outside Spinaker's Restaurant

When I retired from my government career in 2005 I went to work with my mom part-time for a couple of years. I had been a marriage officer for 12 years but I only did weddings when my mom and dad were off the island. In those days they travelled a lot, so I learned the business. Now post-Hurricane Ivan( which did $3.2 billion damage to Cayman in 2004) we looked for ways to grow the business and this was by offering Cayman cruise weddings.

Simply Weddings began as the cruise division of Cayman Weddings two years ago. This year I opened my own office and Bride's Room in George Town, Grand Cayman. I can sit at my desk and see which ships are anchored in the harbour, which makes our location so much easier for our couples.

People sometimes ask me if my mother and I compete, and I always say "Not really", because we still cover for each other and I still do her beach weddings. Over the next month or so while my dad recovers I will officiate at most of her weddings.

My mother and father have been married for 58 years, and they are are an example to all of us about the institution of marriage.



Here is a picture of my husband and I at the Marina, in Victoria BC


If you are thinking about getting married in the Cayman Islands, call us here at Simply Weddings- Grand Cayman Wedding Celebrants and Planners (345) 949-9933 or email us at mywedding@candw.ky

No comments: