Monday, January 12, 2009

Grand Cayman Cruise Commitment Ceremony

This group of swing-dancing friends were in town last week on a cruise and witnessed their friends commitment ceremony.

I thought this would be a good time to talk about what a commitment ceremony is, and under what circumstances I perform the ceremony.
The couple watch while their friend signs the Commitment Certificate.
The whole group, with the photographer who accompanied them read the words on the Commitment Certificate.
The Cayman Islands Registered Marriage Certificate is legal world-wide. Cayman has no residency requirement for visitors, which means you can have a legal marriage performed while you are in port. The onus to make sure your documentation is correct, falls on your Marriage Officer. Sometimes this gets complicated because divorce law in different states and countries is different. It is possible that for some reason or other you can't get your original divorce decree, or you can't get it in time, especially if you're only going to be in Cayman for one day. In some circumstances, a Commitment Ceremony is appropriate and called for.

The most important thing to remember is that a Commitment Ceremony is completely at my discretion. I don't do them often, and I don't do them lightly. Because they are non-legal and non-binding, a couple can't just turn up and decide they want to have a Commitment Ceremony.
They must convince me that but for certain circumstances, they would be doing a legal marriage ceremony. I do not do same -sex commitment ceremonies. This has nothing to do with my personal beliefs but is out of sensitivity to the small community I live in.

Similarly, if your documentation is incomplete I will not be able to file for your Special Marriage License. It is your responsibility to ensure that all is in order for your Cayman Islands wedding. This is one reason that I encourage couples to book early and send in their deposit to book their wedding. I have a refund policy on deposits. Your Marriage Officer is a professional, and should be treated with courtesy. I am proud of the professional service I provide. However it is my prerogative to decline to perform your ceremony, if anything about your paperwork or your demeanor does not sit well with me. In doing this I am protecting my license from the government, and my reputation. This has only happened twice in 14 years.

It is a pleasure and a privilege for me to be part of the happiest day of your life. Call me for your own Cayman Islands Cruise Wedding or Cruise Renewal (345) 5256551.

No comments: